It was founded in 1586 by Father Nicholas of Jesus and Mary, Father Provincial of the Order of Carmelites, under license from Cardinal Gaspar de Quiroga.
Although his true dedication was the San Hermenegildo, from its origins was better known by the name of Carmen Barefoot, being inhabited by monks of the order.
Its original building had to be small and very capable, so soon buy the home of Mr. Jimenez Ortiz, Magistrate Council of Castile, for Solar in building a new church (1605).
The entire assembly was demolished in the early eighteenth century, and in 1730 was commissioned Pedro de Ribera building a new convent, but was completed in 1748 by Jose Arredondo and Fausto Manso. In the new building stood out above all the church, built on a Latin cross plan with a nave and two aisles, and an exterior style very Pedro de Ribera, in which central niche was placed a statue of Our Lady of Mount Carmel , made by French sculptor Roberto Michel.
In 1836, with the confiscation of Mendizabal, the Carmelites were expelled, leaving empty both the convent and the church. The convent, hold for a few years after the Directorate of Military Administration, was demolished, being constructed in its place the Apollo Theater, and later the building of the Bank of Biscay. As for the church, went to the parish house of St. Joseph, a role that continues to play today.
Source: © 2003 Development, Consulting and Training Computing SA (DAYFISA) - Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM).